Sunday, January 10, 2010

Walpole Cemetery


I thought this worth including both for its kitche factor but also
because I love the detail of the whale following Noah's Ark.

Walpole is situated 430 kilometres from Perth and has a population of about 500 people. Its main attraction, apart from being a coastal town is the Tree Top Walk in the Valley of the Giants. Here you can walk in the canopy so having a bird's eye view of the karri and tingle trees. Here is a picture of me on the specially designed suspension type bridge.

Walpole Cemetery

I wasn't able to find any information about the cemetery's history. However I did find mention of it in one (relatively) recent issue of the Walpole Weekly. In November 2008 there was an entry is about the need for a gazebo type building to be included in the grounds for the benefits of visitors. I don't recall seeing this gazebo when we were there so am not sure if it has gone ahead or not.

This is a rather motley collection of item which is why it is so interesting.
A clear stone, an angel head, a rocking horse, cupid and dead leaves.
An art work by accident.


Here is a link to the layout of the cemetery which includes the names and denominations of those buried there.


I often photograph broken items on gravestones. I think this is because
they seem to break the spell of the serenity of the grave itself. They are
unsettling but strangely beautiful.

No comments: